Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Namaste

The holiday season has done a number on me!  I feel as though the past four weeks have been filled with delicious food and drink -- and a few too many holiday treats!!  I went straight to the gym today and decided to begin with something totally different, something that my body was not expecting...

Vinyasa Yoga


This specific style of yoga practice, also known as flow yoga -- and YES we were flowing (!), warms up the body and mind while using breath and fluid movement into and out of various poses.  For those who like to be physically active while exercising and might worry that yoga is simply holding stretches, this yoga practice is a great compliment to your existing workout routine.  

Benefits include: 
  • movement-breath synchronization improving the cardiovascular system
  • creates internal heat to challenge physical endurance
  • cleanses the body and mind while enlightening the spirit
  • purification for the body by expelling toxins from the muscles and organs through sweat
  • increases flexibility and range of motion
  • helps to increase metabolism aiding in weight loss and reshaping of the body
  • tones muscles
  • increases stamina and endurance
My one challenge: I have to constantly remind myself that yoga is a personal practice -- not about making shapes or reaching poses that look like the person on the mat next to me.  It is about finding my own progression and working on that path for me, and only me. 

So whether your resolutions are getting you into a class (yoga, pilates, dance, aerobic) or into some cardiovascular or strength training..... just be proud of yourself for starting the new year off on the right foot! 

NAMASTE!

No comments:

Post a Comment