Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Music to my ears

According to the United States Sports Academy,
Music ... provides an ideal accompaniment for training. Scientific inquiry has revealed five key ways in which music can influence preparation and competitive performances: dissociation, arousal regulation, synchronization, acquisition of motor skills, and attainment of flow.

Well, what the heck does that mean?
Listening to music can:
  • narrow focus, dissociate from feelings of fatigue and promote good mood during low to moderate exercise
  • be used as a stimulant to calm down or psych up the athlete at appropriate parts of performance  
  • increase level of work output  
  • regulate movement and prolong performance
Plan a "workout mix" that helps to cue the change of various components to your workout: circuit style exercise changes and to measure your rest intervals. 

Generally, music should have
  1. a strong, energizing rhythm
  2. positive lyrics
  3. rhythmic synchronization to the activity performed 
  4. musical style that the athlete enjoys 
  5. uplifting melodies and associations of sport and triumph 
For me, music creates a rhythm to my day whether I'm washing dishes or walking to the train.  It's motivational, enjoyable, keeps me focused on a task, and enables me to keep track of the amount of time and my speed of that tasks completion.  A personal favorite is Peter Bjorn and John -- "Young Folks"... there's just something about that whistling that gets me moving!  And of course, nothing motivates me like a good selection of rap beats :)

Happy listening!

No comments:

Post a Comment