Wednesday, January 18, 2012

And the winner is....



Raleigh, North Carolina -- the #1 most healthy city for women ranked by Women's Health.  Their team assessed 38 measures of health and well being: access to medical care, cancer rates, obesity rates and important lifestyle factors including nutrition, unemployment, happiness and fitness.  Cities like San Jose, CA; Burlington, VT; and Madison, WI were found to rank among the top ten.   

This ranking made me think about my choice to live in NYC (which did NOT make the top ten) and how things in my life like work stress, commuter stress, freelance employment stress (often things out of my control) mixed with the things I am in charge of like my nutrition and what I eat, my fitness level, the amount of sleep I get (ahh! this I need to work on!) and my personal relationships with friends and family, all link up  to create the overall picture of my well being.  And that mental health picture I was posting about yesterday -- all of these aspects are connected and one drastically impacts the other.

Living in a city that didn't make the top ten, or that may even be ranked unhealthy for women, shouldn't be an excuse for you to be unhealthy.  Think about the individual elements I listed above and think about how changing one can shift the entire picture. 

Today, I plan to work on my sleep schedule!  I will head to bed right after a little Law&Order ;) and hopefully this will be one change I can make no matter what city I happen to be living in! 

No comments:

Post a Comment