Here's a photo of our entire group during our last class:
We also ended with a conversation on some of the body work we had completed the day before -- when we work with a partner to go through a range of motion of our muscle groups (flexing and extending, abducting and adducting, and rotation of our joints) without using our own muscular strength... our partner did the heavy lifting for us. We found some easy relaxation -- I think it was some of the students favorite days!
I asked the students to complete a final write-up, for me mostly, to see how our summer had gone:
I asked several questions and I was truly moved by what the students had to share with me, feedback on the summer and what they learned from our class. Here's a few samples of what the students had to say:
This summer I learned...
- About the body and how to keep my body healthy while doing a lot of intense work.
- I learned not to beat myself up about my body type. There's a reason I find my cardiorespiratory and muscular endurance to be so poor and it's not something that I've done wrong. I now know what I can do to get myself stronger.
- I learned not to be intimidated when I walk into a gym and see guys benching 150 lbs. or more. I have my own specialized workout for me to focus on improving a "dancer's" body.
- This summer I learned... so much! All the information about fueling my body/about my body, how to present myself in front of an audience, how to push my body/mind farther...
- I learned a lot about injury prevention and nutrition. It was interesting to learn how crucial carbs are to a dancer's body when they're training.
- This summer I learned that working out is not dreadful, it makes me feel really good about myself.
- I learned that I can accomplish anything if I set my mind to it and am willing to take risks.
- You are amazing. This class taught me so much. I hope we stay in contact. I notice from what we have done in class my energy has improved and stamina for dance pieces has been much better.
- I loved spending these 4 weeks with you!
- This class was amazingly helpful and so inspirational. Your methods (teaching) and attitude make everything enjoyable.
- Your class has been beyond helpful and I would like you to know you have impacted my life in a positive way. The things learned here will be carried along for the rest of my life!
- I loved this class! It was a nice pick me up when I had a difficult day.
- You were a really wonderful, supportive teacher. Always smiling and engaging, you encouraged everyone to do their best. I felt comfortable with you and feel like I learned a great deal about body conditioning.
WAY TO GO STUDENTS!! WE DID IT!
And this blog will continue on as we continue on..... keep in touch!