Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Lunch on the run?

After a fabulous ballet class at Gibney Dance today, I was scheduled to meet with a theater colleague for lunch. I had just sweat my tail off with a great class and the last thing I wanted to eat was grease, grizzle, and anything unhealthy.  I found myself at the ENERGY KITCHEN near Madison Square Park, and I wasn't dissapointed.

 It's incredibly challenging to live on the go in a city filled with thousands of bars and restaurants with any cuisine imaginable.  How am I supposed to make good choices?  Going to a place like ENERGY KITCHEN enables you to know exactly what's inside what you're eating.  You can make healthy choices, while eating sustainable meals. At this place, all finds are under 500 calories so you can measure what's in your lunch. 

So....how to be healthy when living the life of a city dweller?
  1. Plan ahead: know what the day has in store and pack sustainable meals and snacks like figs and almonds, a peanut butter sandwich, or a Luna bar (insert your favorite type here). 
  2. Find a fruit stand: a couple of quarters can go a long way with a NYC fruit vendor.  Bananas, apples, oranges, OH MY!  Grab one on your walk for a great pick me up and avoid unhealthy sugary sweets like candy bars or soda.
  3. Make good choices: there are plenty of healthy places to eat, like ENERGY KITCHEN, all over the city.  Find a place that you like and know where it is in every neighborhood. 
It's easy to make great habits, like packing a lunch, bringing your own water bottle, and giving to charity ;) So start small and think how you can make a difference in your own life and with your own health. 

Check out an ENERGY KITCHEN near you and think of me when you do!

No comments:

Post a Comment