Thursday, February 16, 2012

What's hot and what's not... in fitness

The American College of Sports Medicine (ACSM) recently conducted a survey of 2,600 fitness professionals to find out what the current trends in fitness are and how they shape the health and wellness industry.  I was surprised to see that things like pilates and stability (physio) balls are OFF the list for 2012.  Check out what's hot:
  • Wellness Coaches help make serious behavioral changes that will last
  • Perks for employees who take care of themselves (corporate incentive programs)
  • Taking a workout to the outdoors 
  • Yoga  
  • Zumba (have STILL never tried this) 
  • Focus on the core (my favorite area of focus to help stabilize and strengthen the spine and pelvis while preventing back pain)
  • Programs for youth, elderly, and first timers 
  • Strength training!
I'm glad to see that I've already been weaving content about these into my posts as well as my own personal fitness.  But remember.... it's important to recognize fitness fads (like the South Beach diet, or whole body cleanses) and the fitness facts that are here to stay. 

No comments:

Post a Comment