Thursday, February 9, 2012

Staying healthy while traveling

Tomorrow morning I'll be on a bus headed to Providence, RI where I'll spend the weekend in retreat with the American Dance Legacy Initiative designing methodology and rehearsing repertory works.  This huge project is the LEAST of my concerns.  My biggest concern: getting sick while traveling. 

When crammed into a windowless bus for 3 hours and 40 minutes, as I will be tomorrow, face to face with strangers and their strange germs, during the height of cold and flu season, I want to be prepared.  Work travel also brings anxiety, lengthy days, and the pattern of eating out at restaurants - sometimes all three meals per day. So how can you combat these abnormal shifts to your life? 

Travel To-Dos:
  • Rest prior to the trip (hmmm, as it's 11:55am as I write this, not sure I'll get enough rest tonight) and eat healthy and filling meals the night before and morning of travel
  • Pack snacks! You don't have to tell me twice.  I'll pack a peanut butter and jelly sandwich on some 12 grain bread, pack an orange, and some cheese and crackers to be sure I have enough to snack on for the long morning and into the afternoon.
  • Vitamins and water: while traveling you may not be eating enough of your normal daily nutrients so plan ahead for the chance of deficiency
  • Wash hands, wash hands, wash hands!
  • Did I mention, wash hands?
Stay calm and relaxed and plan ahead with extra time for those "might happen" moments.  Find time for yourself and relish in any alone space you may have.  Reflect on your trip as it's happening (enjoy!) and don't be afraid to step away from the group early if you need to. Staying out to have cocktails before an 8am meeting isn't always the best idea ;)  

Rhode Island.... here I come!

No comments:

Post a Comment