Wednesday, February 22, 2012

40 days and....

40 nights of the Lenten season begins today.  Alongside my fellow Catholics, I ventured to mass this morning to receive my ashes as part of our Ash Wednesday practice, and I began to ponder what I will give up for Lent this year.  It seems many people have decided to give up things like Facebook, chocolate, coffee, their favorite TV show.... last year I even gave up CHEESE!  It's incredibly challenging to sacrifice something you love or feel like you need, but 40 days is a perfect amount of time to make a new habit - or to break a bad one. 

Lent is a time for spiritual growth, and whether you are a religious person or not, I think we can all benefit from a little growth: spiritual, mental, and even physical. 

Take 40 days and make a new habit:
  • Do push-ups or sit-ups each day in honor of someone or something
  • Strengthen your yoga practice and include reflective meditation about your personal faith
  • Limit the amount of not so great things that are in your diet (no french fries during the week, or no sweets after 6pm, etc)
  • Replace something you do regularly (drinking soda) with something else (every time you want to drink a soda have a glass of water instead)
  • Try something new! (cycling, swimming, flag football, etc)
  • Set health and fitness goals and STICK TO THEM (workout every morning or specific days during the week)
Whatever you decide to do, you have to be accountable to yourself -- I know I will!  Good luck with your new habit making or habit breaking and let the season begin!

No comments:

Post a Comment