Tuesday, February 7, 2012

I've got a scratchy throat :(

My first scratchy throat of the New Year.... could it be because I'm surrounded daily by young people coughing and sneezing on me?  Could it be because the weather doesn't know if it's the dead of winter or if we're headed toward spring?  Could it be because I'm unlucky?  Nope -- the common cold is, completely common.

I'm going to try some home remedies:
  • salt water gargle (have NEVER liked this one, but doesn't hurt to try again!)
  • ice pops (sounds delicious and will definitely make these tomorrow)
  • hot beverages like tea
In addition the Mayo Clinic recommends:
  • water, juice, clear broth or warm lemon water with honey to loosen congestion and prevent dehydration -- avoid alcohol, coffee and caffeinated sodas, which make dehydration worse
  • salt water gargle (guess I should really try it with TWO recommendations)
  • zinc -- doctors are not sure quite why and there are a few questionable side effects, but it is highly recommended for colds
  • chicken soup -- it's not only good for the teenage soul.... but has anti-inflammatory and mucus-thinning effects
Keep it healthy NYC!  Wash those hands, cough into your elbow, and try not to share too much. 

I know Valentine's Day is fast approaching.... but beware if you're gonna share ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment