Friday, September 27, 2013

Sleep vs. exercise?



Ahhh.... the age old question (at least in my house!) is should I sleep in an extra hour, or get up early to workout?  It's a question I face just about every morning and it's something many people (my sister included!) ask me constantly.  Dr. Zee from Northwestern University in Chicago gives us a little insight:

  • there is no real scientific evidence that one is more important than the other.... but we do know that sleep + exercise + nutrition = triangle of health  
  • exercise improves your sleep contributing to a more deep, restful slumber... which in turn keeps you healthier (a win-win situation, I think) 
Suggestions: 
  • (as I've recommended before) try INTERVAL TRAINING which includes shorter bursts of higher intensity exercise, allowing you to get more, in less time spent at the gym 
  • bike to work! 
  • workout during lunchtime, or even simply go for a walk during your break 
My favorite suggestion.... 
  • going to bed 20-30 minutes earlier on work nights + waking up 15 minutes later = 600 to 800 more minutes of sleep per month!!!!! (Now this, I can do!)

No comments:

Post a Comment