Sunday, July 21, 2013




Welcome back to... NYSSSA!  

My summer would not be complete without my annual teaching residency in Saratoga Springs, NY at the New York State Summer School of the Arts.  This year I will not only be teaching my Dance Conditioning course, but I will also be staging a piece of my own choreography on a group of the students.  Can't wait to get started tomorrow.

Plan for the first day of Conditioning:
I have been working on something very special for my students.... every year I am urging them to "foam roll" their muscles and this year, I have a full proof plan -- I made each one of them their own personal foam roller!  It started as an idea from colleague and fellow dance teacher, Kerry Gallagher, and with a few fun-noodles from the local Rite Aid...



and with the addition of some electrical conduit PVC piping... and a little elbow grease from my wonderful volunteer (dad)...


Just a little more work, we're almost there.....



And we've got it.  30 mini travel foam rollers for my students.  Let's see what they think tomorrow!

BUT, WHY FOAM ROLL you may ask????? 

Foam rolling or SMR (self-myofascial release) works my inhibiting overactive muscles.   SMR relaxes the muscle through application of pressure to the muscle site, bringing oxygen and increasing blood flow.  Do before and after activity as part of the warm-up and cool down.  

Can't wait to report on Day 1!  

No comments:

Post a Comment