Friday, April 12, 2013




Another restless night for me (thanks to my hot apartment, the bar goers outside at all hours, and the NYC garbage truck outside my apartment at 5am) and I am feeling exhausted.  In between my classes I can barely keep awake and I'm counting the minutes until I walk out the door to head home to recharge before seeing a show tonight.  Count it be.....

Obstructive sleep disorder?? Check out this new device (looking almost like a mouth guard) which helps to keep your jaw from moving back into a position which would restrict your air flow, causing you to wake up while inhibiting REM sleep -- important for keeping you healthy.  Impaired sleeping can cause:

  • High blood pressure
  • Depression
  • Diabetes 
  • Stroke.... and the list goes on.   
If it's not a sleep disorder.... how can I help sleep better anyway?


Some nice tips from the Mayo Clinic: 
  • Create a bedtime ritual (preferably in dim lights) of listening to soft music, reading, taking a bath, etc. 
  • Get on a schedule.  This seems IMPOSSIBLE for holidays and weekends, but I do know how effective it can be to regulate your body's natural cycle. 
  • Nicotine, alcohol, caffeine are no good before bed!  
  • If you can't fall asleep after a while, go do something, then try again -- it's not worth the stress and agonizing feelings of waiting. 
  • Get comfy!  Cool, dark, and quiet are a great place to start, then consider your sheets, pillow, and mattress. 
Tomorrow morning (IT'S SATURDAY!) I'm already planning for a HUGE sleep in so I'll try to use some of these to get me ready for it! Cool, dark, quiet.... here I come! 


No comments:

Post a Comment