- bringing negative details to the forefront while ignoring the positive aspects
- allowing one tiny mistake to negate the remaining efforts and your success
- you think you know what people think and feel, without them even telling you
- then you act on it, or react to it, when it isn't even real
Catastrophizing (I'm not sure that's a real word?)
- thinking you are always in DANGER!
- constantly expecting a disaster! (who wants to live like that?!)
- if you feel something, it must be true
- if you feel ugly, you must be ugly
- stop allowing emotions to flow freely in your head -- sometimes they are just not true!
Heaven's Reward Fallacy (my personal favorite)
- making sacrifice while thinking that someone, somewhere, is keeping score
- living a wonderful life is great, but don't beat yourself up if you make a mistake -- there is no one keeping score, and everyone makes mistakes
Don't let this type of thinking control you... it can lead to a distorted self-image and we don't want that!