Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Limber ladies!

In addition to gathering more information on nutrition in preparation for NYSSSA, I'm interested in gaining more specific knowledge on stretching techniques for dancers.  I decided to head to Peridance near Union Square in Manhattan.  I took an "Open Stretch" class where I learned a few "to-do's", and a whole lot more "not to-do's" from the class.  

When I walked in the lights were completely out and we appeared to be inside of a cave.  Having come in 2 minutes late from the ballet class upstairs, the instructor threw a mat down on the ground and kept the class going.  With the lights out, my eyes hadn't adjusted to the scene and I could barely follow what was happening.  The instructor was: 
  • abrasive with a strong and direct tone of voice, which did not make me feel relaxed and safe 
  • snapping his fingers loudly to keep a beat while we stretched -- this made me feel as though I was performing the class -- inside I was dying for some Enya! 
  • making physical contact with students (me included!) to push them further into stretches without awareness of previous injury 
I believe stretching techniques require more guided one on one training and observation from the instructor along with open communication.  The instructor should not just approach the student and physically move their body without having knowledge of previous injury or of their current strength/weakness investigation.  Each student will be on their own tragectory of goal setting and the instructor needs to respect that.  I was hoping to gather new techniques for my program this summer and was disappointed to leave with a heightened sense of anxiety in my muscles.  

No matter how young or old the student (and I had to keep reminding myself!) you have to work at your own pace.  It doesn't matter if the girl next to you can bend her body in half (and she could!)  Set your own goals; make your own progress.   

This summer I hope to inspire the students to work in conjunction with their bodies and help them to discover their limits and the appropriate plan to work through and beyond them.  Through safety and relaxation, we will accomplish our goals!   

No comments:

Post a Comment