Thursday, July 19, 2012

Enjoy what you do

I was shocked to see a room full of 35 or more ballet dancers yesterday, who were stone faced and trying so hard for perfection.  I arrived to take a relaxing class, work on my technique with little to no judgement on myself.  I determined this BEFORE heading to the class and forced myself to keep it up even though I was surrounded by many people with body types different than mine, skills and abilities different than mine, and goals and objectives different than mine. 

What was also most different was the disposition of most students in the class.  The typical face had a furrowed brow, lips biting, tension in the neck and upper spine, and a look of panic or frustration in almost every moment.  The teacher was fabulous while lightening the mood with her anecdotes -- I was the only one laughing. 

So what is it about dancers, and I have found the case true to be with athletes as well..... and the high level of perfection??

Linda Hamilton, clinical psychologist and former NYC Ballet dancer states that the dancers' personality profile is
  • single minded
  • perfectionistic 
  • achievement-oriented 
Well, that could be okay if paired with a great self image, appropriate goal setting and when being surrounded by a support system that can keep your spirits up.  But most dancers do have those things, which can lead to the hyper criticism that is detrimental to one's self esteem.  Hamilton goes on to say that perfectionists have
  • a high personal standard
  • increased emotional stress
  • concern over their mistakes
  • doubts about the actions they take  
It's really a mind shift to approach something, that is so physical, for yourself with only the joy of moving and not the fear of being criticised by your peers, teacher, or the audience. 

When I thanked the teacher for class yesterday, with a big smile on my face, she said, please come back -- you're a beautiful dancer. 

Enough said ;)  

No comments:

Post a Comment